BNP Govt to Take Flexible Stance for Mashrafe, Shakib’s Return to Cricket

TNC Desk

Published: February 20, 2026, 05:09 PM

The government is willing to take a flexible approach to the legal processes involving Mashrafe Bin Mortaza and Shakib Al Hasan to facilitate their return to cricket, State Minister Aminul Haque has said, while insisting that the law will take its own course for others facing similar cases.

BNP Govt to Take Flexible Stance for Mashrafe, Shakib’s Return to Cricket

State Minister for Youth and Sports Aminul Haque on Thursday said the government would take a flexible stance to facilitate the return of Mashrafe Bin Mortaza and Shakib Al Hasan to cricket despite their ongoing legal cases.

He, however, said no such separate consideration had been made for former footballer Abdus Salam Murshedy and cricketer Naimur Rahman Durjoy, who are currently in jail, adding that the law would take its own course.

Speaking to Dhaka Tribune, the state minister said the cases involving Mashrafe and Shakib — both former MPs and national cricketers — are “somewhat different” as they remain active players of the current era.

“To ensure they can return to cricket quickly, the government will remain flexible regarding their legal process or bail,” he said.

Mashrafe and Shakib have largely stayed away from cricket and other activities due to the cases filed against them. Shakib has also been living abroad for a prolonged period.

When asked who would take the initiative for their return, Aminul said the players themselves must proceed through legal channels.

“If allegations of corruption or other irregularities are not proven, the issues can be resolved through due legal process. In my view, the same principle applies equally to everyone,” he said.

The minister remained busy at the ministry for the second consecutive day on Thursday, working on the implementation of a 180-day action plan alongside long-term strategies.

Link copied!